Being Creative opens the door to imagination and looking at the world in new ways. Creativity is fundamental to what it means to be a successful teacher and a successful learner. Creativity defines how students engage in learning: asking the right questions to generate new ideas, evaluate information, and construct information in new ways. It defines how teachers engage in teaching: facilitating connections, leveraging technology and finding innovative ways to demonstrate concepts and assess learning. Creativity pushes our Board leadership to put new ideas into practice, to be adaptive, flexible and forward thinking.
We will engage in intentional and inclusive instructional and assessment practices to foster communities where everyone thrives.
- How do we know the learning diversity in our community and use this information to inform instruction and assessment practices?
- How are we establishing inclusive, positive and safe learning environments where individuals feel valued and engaged?
- How do we ensure there is equitable access to a variety of tools, learning resources, technology and manipulatives?
- How are we leveraging Assessment for and as Learning practices?
Essential Practices to Create a Culture of Belonging
Personalize instruction to suit individual strengths, interests, learning styles and readiness to learn; Celebrate our diversity while reflecting on our shared identity, hopes and mission;
Examples Of Actions
- Use information from a variety of sources such as the following to get to know our learners:
- Engage in conversations about what our hopes are for ourselves, our school, our community and the world;
Plan instruction and design learning environments to reflect the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Deep Learning;
Examples Of Actions
- Use of the UDL Guidelines
- Deep Learning: Pedagogical Practice, Learning Environment, Community Partnerships, Leveraging Technology
Examples Of Actions
- Triangulation of evidence through observations, conversations and products
Inspiring Faith to strengthen the foundation of Christ inour Catholic schools and spark a call to service in thegreater community.
- We will enhance connections between the home,school, parish and community in order to provide outreach and see the face of God in each person we serve.
- We will find unity in the body of Christ and see God in the natural environment through Liturgy and the Mass.
- We will use various resources including Auditing our Catholic Schools and A Pastor’s Journal to identify ways that we can continue to be the Christ light for others and build community through symbols, words and actions
Valuing Relationships to empower our students and staff as we work together to realize the great promise of Catholic Education.
- We will create an environment in all workplaces that has at its core “the art of accompaniment,” keeping Jesus at the centre of our community as we model ministry, acceptance and love.
- We will foster a sense of respect for the unique expertise and strengths of each individual,acknowledging and celebrating the efforts of our students and staff and working to ensure they feel valued, empowered and supported.
- We will demonstrate servant leadership by creating inclusive learning and work environments grounded in gratitude and empathy for the work that we do and the people we serve.
Nurturing Mental Health & Well-being to create healthy environments in which we work, learn and teach,understanding that we have to be well in order to learn,to teach, to lead, to support and to fulfill the demands of each of our roles.
- We will engage in professional development for creating healthy interpersonal relationships/partnerships, workspaces and classrooms.
- We will enhance collaborative efforts across our organization directed at working as a cohesive team to bring about ideal work and learning environments.
- We will strive to be open, humble, and receptive to opportunities for learning and personal growth that build our individual knowledge.
Providing Excellence in Teaching and Learning to maximize student engagement through effective assessment practices, deep inquiry learning, student voice and choice.
- We will teach students to think critically, ask questions and communicate their thinking.
- We will continue to support deep inquiry learning and Universal Design for Learning (UDL) to ensure all students can achieve success.
- We will focus on student strengths and identify areas for growth using assessment for, as and of learning
Ensuring Equity to create a culture of belonging that promotes spiritual, emotional, mental and physical safety through advocacy and aspiring allyship.
- We will provide staff with the necessary space and time to engage in reflective dialogue, identify personal learning goals and engage in learning through an equity lens.
- We will review curriculum resources through a culturally relevant and responsive pedagogy lens to critically evaluate the resources we use to ensure materials represent diverse perspectives.
- We will use the Student Census Survey Data and Equity Continuum Resource (OISE) to inform our Catholic Board and School Improvement goals on an annual basis.
Expanding Technology to enable staff and students to apply, analyze, evaluate and create their thinking and learning in creative and innovative ways while encouraging staff and students to develop new ways of using technology.
- We will provide all students with appropriate technology and implement a balanced inquiry-based model of online and in-person learning so that students can clearly make their thinking visible and use technology where most impactful.
- We will facilitate ongoing learning and increase the confidence of educators and students with up-to-date, real-world applications and technologies that meet industry standards and will support our students well into the future.
- We will ensure students and staff are provided with a growing repository of applications, programs and learning opportunities that meet safety and privacy requirements as they competently employ technology to demonstrate their thinking and learning.
Protecting the Environment to create greater ecological sustainability in all of the Board’s educational, strategic,and corporate practices and to act on the urgency expressed in Pope Francis’ Encyclical on the Environment Laudato Si’.
- We will prioritize environmental education learning expectations in all schools by providing the necessary staff training to build capacity among teachers and leaders, ensuring that environmental topics in the current K-12 curriculum documents be taught and assessed for all students.
- We will strive to certify all schools in an environmental stewardship program.
- We will develop short and long-term environmental plans for the Board, creating a multi-disciplinary resource committee on the environment and reporting to the Board of Trustees twice per year to assess the progress being made toward the established goals.
Maximizing Resources to maintain public trust and ensure a fiscally responsible Catholic school system founded on equity, transparency, accountability, risk management and sustainable priorities.
- We will ensure efficient and equitable allocation of staff and regularly review all teaching and learning resources in our schools so that our staff and students have the best possible support.
- We will maintain effective corporate risk management practices and search for opportunities to improve operational efficiencies.
- We will enhance our engagement in authentic and transparent consultation on the use of resources with stakeholder groups.